Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Crime and Murder Just Footsteps Away. North Jersey, Summer 2009

When I was a kid I was surprised when my mom told me that people used the motels along 46 in South Hackensack for prostitution and drugs. I always remembered my dad telling me how someone got murdered in the Popeye’s in Teaneck, and the awe I felt that such incredible and dastardly events were taking place minutes from my house. My uncle would impress me with the story of how he and his partner had a gunfight with a Paterson bank robber 1974. The robber had been wounded in the stomach, and my uncle had approached him, and the man had said that it hurt; with all the gravitas of Clint Eastwood, my uncle kicked his balls, and told him that he didn’t hurt nearly enough.

Back then, I imagined all criminals were genius masterminds, all murders were dramatic and cinematic, and all crime breathtaking and exciting. Living by the intersection of routes 80, 46, and 95, ten minutes from New York City, I remember one night the police arrested a man for dumping keys of cocaine out of his car windows on the turnpike in a fit of paranoia. I always remember how my parents would warn me away from certain parks or the movie theater at night, due to people “doing drugs” or fighting; on a walk with my girlfriend when I was 16, we heard some pops, and immediately her mom called us to come back, because some teenagers were firing guns in the air a block from her house.

When people were robbed at gunpoint or had shots fired through their windows near me, I thought I lived in an exciting place. Yeah, I knew New York was dangerous – all the rapes and murders they showed on Eyewitness News convinced me of that – but this was my hometown! This was Paterson, Newark, Englewood, Passaic, Garfield, the places that I lived.


It was all exciting and unreal to me until when I was sixteen, and saw a guy get killed by the police in a terrible circumstance in Las Vegas. He was resisting arrest in a car, and speeding away when he hit a cop on a bicycle, knocking him out. The other cop drew his gun and shot him in the head. Me and my dad were walking on the block, but we didn’t even realize what had happened. The cops began to swarm all around, and got the civilians out of the way, and it wasn’t until later I realized the man had died.

A few days after that, a gang fight broke out at a house party a couple blocks from my house, and a 15-year-old boy who was running away was shot in the back with a .357 and left for dead on the street. His name was Ricky Smith. The Paterson Bloods who had killed him were all arrested, and in the next few months, a recognizance that gang activity existed in Teaneck was much more aware. In the next year, gang members were arrested with loaded guns on streets that I walked on every day, and at the Popeye’s on Teaneck Road, a gang fight resulted in a teenager getting stabbed in the neck, needing 300 stitches to close the wound. Before I left for college, an attempted shooting of a police officer in Little Ferry over the river was the news of the day.

It was this kind of stuff that made criminology one of my biggest interests. Even now, with a more mature and sober outlook on crime, and a much bigger realization of unsafeness, the motivation behind criminals and their actions is something that never ceases to interest me.

When I got to American University, during welcome week we couldn’t go a day without getting a public safety alert of a sex offense or robbery on the roads around American. A casual acquaintance of mine was nearly killed on August 20th, when he was being robbed at gunpoint on Nebraska and Van Ness, and the perpetrator pulled the trigger, only to have the gun jam. In DC, I was much more conscious of high crime areas, and I took this back with me when I went home for breaks.

One night this semester I found a crime map that showed all the crime in DC for the last few years, and I was shocked at the amount of crime in the NW. I didn’t think that the NW had such heavy crime, but this is DC – there were murders and shootings around Tenleytown, people killed in Georgetown, and robberies and knifepoint and gunpoint all around the AU area, and other parts of DC that I frequented. (One of my favorite discoveries was a drunken argument between two homeless men on Constitution Avenue in front of the White House. One of them, who was in a wheelchair, pulled a gun out of his bag and shot the other in the leg…in front of the White House.)

When I looked at crime statistics for my home in New Jersey, I was shocked. Not having paid attention all year to news from back home, I saw killings in Hackensack, drive-by shootings in Lodi, my town having five rapes and five robberies, teenagers being stabbed in gang fights in high school. News reports said that people wouldn’t walk in central Hackensack at night by 1st and Central because drugs were being sold their, and armed robberies kept taking place. Was my home always this dangerous, had I missed it all these years, or was I just more conscious?


I had an idea for this summer to chart all the violent crime in my area, recording it both here and on a Google map. This is not as a scare tactic, but as a sober reminder that this isn’t a problem just for inner cities, and that New Jersey and the places that we live all suffer from crime. My sources will be newspapers, both paper and internet. Because crime spikes in the summer, there will be enough data to have a good look at crime in my area, the places that it occurs, and why it occurs.

This chart and map will cover Bergen County, Passaic County, Essex County, Hudson County, and Morris County. Crimes covered are shootings (fatal and non-fatal), assaults, robberies, and other – including arson, rape, or other high-profile cases that make the news.


May
May 1 – Assault. Man severely beaten, Apartments @ Fremont Street, Jersey City
May 1 – Robbery. Woman robbed of $2500, Tuers and Vroom, Jersey City
May 2 – Assault. Drunken man assaults police officer, diner @ 53rd and Broadway, Bayonne
May 2 – Assault. Bamboozle @ the Meadowlands
May 3 – Assault. Bamboozle @ the Meadowlands
May 3 – Arson. Apartments @ Broad and West Kinney, Newark
May 3 – Shooting. Driver wounded with gunshot to head, Cornelison and Fairmount, Jersey City
May 3 – Shooting. Gas station clerk wounded with gunshot to arm, Broadway and Summer, Paterson
May 4 – Shooting. Police shoot burglar in leg, 16th by South Orange, Newark
May 5 – Shooting. One killed with gunshots to chest and head, one wounded with gunshot to chest, South Orange and Isabella, Newark

No comments:

Post a Comment